Thursday, June 4, 2009

Magnificent Mangers

I have some of the best managers.

The physical demands of this job has taken a huge toll. We walk around in the tropical Florida weather, knocking doors for 7 hours a day and commute for about 2 hours a day, six days a week. Initially I thought it wouldn't be too bad. But when I added that plus my efforts to live a missionary style life, inclusive of early morning workout, and scripture study, PLUS elective work training, it just got to be too much.
I started to get sick last week, and by the mercy of heaven evaded a full fledged mono symptom up-flair. But it was close. I spent a few days pretty heavily medicated and sleeping in till the last possible moment.

I talked with one of my managers tonight and told him about how I just can't hack working the full six days and asked if I could be bumped down to five. Once I explained that I'd be more effective that way, and be able to better prepare for a mission, he was totally okay with it. I was worried I'd be labeled as a quitter or slacker - which is why I hesitated bringing it up before now. He was totally okay with it, and will talk to the lead manager. So hopefully we'll work something out.

Another stress point of the job is the social dynamics created by some of the guy's naturally competitive natures. I started to cry when I talked to dad about it today. The guys aren't being jerks, they're just being guys and not using their brains to think. Surprise Surprise.
If I felt like they were interested in me, Susan, I might be flattered. But instead I feel like because I have an X chromosome instead of a Y, they compete just to see who can 'win'. It's pretty much disgusting.

It feels good to have taken a day off to step back from everything, reevaluate where the summer is going and what I'm doing. I'm not sure what the end looks like -- but I know it will be great.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were brave and prayerful. I'm sure the Lord will bless you. I'm sorry to hear things have been stressful, and I hope they will improve for you now that you've taken these steps. And by the way, I'd bet those guys feel threatened by a woman as amazing as yourself. You've done and are doing so much with your life!

    ReplyDelete