Monday, June 15, 2009

Dark Chocolate

Today, when I was in SevenEleven buying a slurpy (gross, I know) I placed my drink on the checkout counter and smiled at the girl. For one reason or another she asked if I liked dark chocolate. I answered that I did, and she replied, "Well, you should try the new dark chocolate Resses Peanut-butter Cups. Like right now, they're that good." I chuckled and told her I wasn't in a chocolate mood, but I'd try them another time. She paused, and then asked how old I was. I responded that I was 21, and inwardly thought "why the heck is she asking me that?" She proceeded to explain that she wanted to get me drunk one day and then get me to try them. Interesting, I thought. I laughed and said, "well, I don't drink, so good luck with that one." She shifted her weight, and put one hand on her hip, the other on the counter, looked at me and said, "You're a Christian, aren't you?"
"Yup. I most certainly am."
"Yea, you give off that Christian vibe."
"Really, How could you tell?" I was genuinely curious at this point. I know a lot of non-Christians who don't drink. Plus, most people don't bring up religion in public.
"You just have that Christ type aura about you."
"Wow, well thanks." I felt honored that she could still see that in me - I had been having a pretty rocky day.
"So tell me," she continued with sincerity, "Why are you a Christian? I want the honest, real reason."
I was a little surprised, but she asked with just such a real desire to know, that I told her about how when I was seventeen, my older sister committed suicide. I explained how that provoked me to search for answers to questions such as 'why are we here?' 'will I ever see Ellen again?' 'How can a loving God let something like this happen?' 'What happens when we die?'
I told her about how one night I just started asking God for answers, and explained to him that if he didn't answer me, I'd go do my own thing. At this point in the conversation I remember looking down at the counter as I was recalling those events and where I was when I had such pointed feelings. I felt prompted to look up and look into her eyes. So I looked up, looked into her eyes, and testified. I was able to testify about how God is our loving Heavenly Father, about how Jesus is the Christ, and about how even though terrible things happen in life, God still loves us and will never take away or hinder our ability to choose.
It was amazing to feel the Spirit confirm those wonderful truths and have such a wonderful opportunity to testify of God and his son, Jesus Christ. All in a SevenElven, and because of dark chocolate!!!

Now about my 'work day': I could hardly get out of the car. In fact, Spencer and I sat in the car most of the day. Zac would kill us if he knew - but I couldn't handle it emotionally. It was rough. When I got home I went swimming with Jean and Jan. Some of the office boy joined us and I won every race we did. I believe a large part of why I won is because I knew that I could. I knew that I had the physical ability to beat every swimmer there because I had previously put in the physical preparation. I also thrive off the grudgingly given respect that comes from doing something better than boys. Once a girl can prove she can hold her own in one area, guys usually aren't as chauvinistically dominating in other area's, such as work.

So I'd call today a success.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that. I was so amazed that I read it to Bryan too. I'm sure your mission won't phase you a bit. I admire your confidence and your honesty. You're so wonderful. =)

    ReplyDelete