Sunday, June 7, 2009

California Carlsbad Mission

Dear Family and Friends,

As I prepare to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I have been asked a variety of questions regarding the scope and nature of a mission. To answer questions and keep everyone included, I've decided to post some basic information about the scope and nature of missionary work.

The role of a missionary is to "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." In essence, I become a representative of Jesus Christ and His church. During service, I am expected to maintain high standards of conduct and appearance so that nothing I do will detract from the message of the Restored Gospel.


Timeline

Now - 2 September 2009 - Preparation

- Continue to study The Book of Mormon and "Preach My Gospel", a study guide published by the church to help missionaries learn the basic doctrines, ordinances, and principles, and practices of the church.
- Make covenants with the Lord in one of his Temples.
- Work so I can pay student loans and pay for a mission.
- Observe the hand of God in my life as he continues to bless me and my family for the sacrifices made that will enable to me to serve a mission.


2 September 2009 - Mid November 2009 - Missionary Training Center (MTC)

The MTC is located in Provo, Utah. Upon arrival there is a brief orrientation, room and companion assignments are given, and 9 weeks of trainning begins. During trainning, missionaries recieve classroom type instruction on becoming an effective missionary, including weekly devotionals, language/culture training, and continued gospel instruction.

Check out a virtual tour and more info at http://www.mtc.byu.edu/themtc.htm


November 2009 - February 2011 - Californial Carlsbad Mission

After I finish training in the MTC I will fly with my companion to the California Carlsbad Mission, to be greeted by President Brady - the current mission president, who is simlar to a bishop. Each mission is a designated geographical area, established by church leaders. Within each mission there are different Districs, Zones, and Areas. One set of missionaries is assigned to each area.

My duties there will include: serving the people, teaching those interested in the church, and inviting people to be baptized and become a member of the Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.


February 2011 - HOME
After serving an honorable mission I am released from service and will resume my education, social life, and personal endevors.


Random Stuff:
During my time in the MTC and Mission Field I am required to stay with a companion at all times, dress in church clothes (except a preparation day), and follow the coucel and advice of my leaders. Generally speaking, missionaries set aside all personal affiars once they begain service. Thus we do not leave service to attend marriages, funerals, or the like.


More is to come....!

No comments:

Post a Comment